The Dallas faithful can breathe a sigh of relief as Cowboys beat Giants to begin yet another season of hope.
Ending 19-3, the Giants were never in it.
Cowboys fans will remain nervous about how far into the playoffs their team will go this season, but the first task at hand was to get off to winning start.
For New York, the opening round loss could signal the start of another disappointing season, and a continuing of mediocre form by ageing QB Eli Manning.
But perhaps the moment of the game was a sensational, behind the back catch, by Cowboys wide receiver Cole Beasley.
— NFL (@NFL) September 11, 2017
NFL: Cowboys Beat Giants In Season Opener
Jason Witten became the Cowboys all-time leading receiving leader. The experienced tight end also nabbed a TD off the reception, punishing the Giants for a below-average opening half hour.
Holding a 16-0 lead at halftime, Dak Prescott had completed 17/28 and gone for 183 yards with a single TD. Filling in the shoes of Tony Romo, a famous name in Cowboy football, Prescott appeared to have picked up from where he left off in an impressive debut season last year.
The Giants were first to score in the Second Half, but after a long drive, the visitors could only manage a field goal.
Eli Manning failed to convert enough of the Giants possession, with three sacks not helping the effort as the Cowboys easily picked holes in the visitors defence. With time ticking down, the Cowboys forced a turnover, sealing a well earned victory.
Results From NFL Sunday (Week 1)
- Buffello Bills 21-12 New York Jets
- Atlanta Falcons 23-17 Chicago Bears
- Baltimore Ravens 20-0 Cincinatti Bengals
- Pittsburgh Steelers 21-18 Cleveland Browns
- Detroit Lions 35-23 Arizona Cardinals
- Jacksonville Jaguars 29-7 Houston Texans
- Oakland Raiders 26-16 Tennessee Titans
- Philadelphia Eagles 30-17 Washington Redskins
- Los Angeles Rams 46-9 Indianapolis Colts
- Green Bay Packers 17-9 Seattle Seahawks
- Carolina Panthers 23-3 San Francisco 49ers